Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My first yoga class

Just after finishing my first yoga class

Now that school is out, I have to find more ways to fill my time.  Stevie invited me to come to her weekly yoga session this morning, and since I'll try anything once, I joined her and several other ladies for an hour of stretching.

It was pretty much everything I expected - all women, new age music playing, faint smell of incense, and an instructor telling us in a soothing voice to "find that place in your body that produces fear... Maybe go there a little."

I was pretty bad at it, too.  Despite being a former gymnast/diver, and a current runner, I'm about as inflexible as you can get and always have been.  I had to modify several poses during the class.

I also couldn't stop thinking of this episode of "Penn & Teller: Bullshit":



It's a show in which two Las Vegas magicians call bullshit on different aspects of American culture and take those responsible for it to task.  Though I wouldn't go so far as to call yoga bullshit - if yoga has a positive impact on your mental and physical well-being then have at it - I think it's obvious that yoga isn't for me, though all told, I'm glad I gave it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...